Thursday, January 7, 2010

Change Your Mind About Cleveland

Whenever I announce that I'm heading to Cleveland, I steel myself for the inevitable round of "CCCs" (crappy comments re: Cleveland). "WHY are you going to CLEVELAND?" "Didn't Lake Erie, like, catch on fire a few year ago?" or more simply, "Oh, I'm sorry." It's obvious to me when you say things like this that you've never been there, you don't know what you're talking about, and you should STFU. Or just read this blog about some great things to do in Cleveland.

You think Seattle has the market cornered (no pun intended) on outdoor markets? Cleveland has one of the best markets I've ever seen called the West Side Market. Started in 1840, the West Side Market features 15 bakeries, 34 produce stands (whose prices make me wish I'd never heard the words "Metropolitan Market"), about 35 butchers, dairy merchants, flowers, and the whole nine yards. We bought some of the most delicious baked goods I've had (other than my own! Just kidding.)

Cleveland of course features the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum, but it's also a great place for sightseers of a more low-key type, such as those who like historical architecture. We stayed in the historic Clifford House Bed & Breakfast in Ohio City, and enjoyed walking neighborhoods of beautiful old historic homes. Clifford House itself was wonderful -- a beautiful home built in 1868 -- featuring an amazing breakfast each morning and a wonderful dog named Sherlock. In Ohio City was a really great restaurant named Heck's. We went there for lunch and everyone was incredibly impresed with their food, and then later that same day stopped by again during a sudden snowstorm for desserts and hot chocolates. Yum!

Another great haunt in Cleveland is the Beachland Ballroom & Tavern. Yeah, it's in East Cleveland, which isn't a really great part of the city by reputation, but I've never even seen anyone sketchy anywhere near the club and it's really fine. Parking is readily available and the location is a quick 5 minutes or so from downtown. The Beachland features good bands, bad bands, and a lot of music in between. It's just a great old school rock club and a fun place to meet people.

There are some great neighborhoods in Cleveland that are really fun to explore. Besides Ohio City and downtown, there are Lakewood and Rocky River, among many others. I personally love Lakewood, with its great boutiques like Turnstyle and delicious restaurants like India Garden.

So, please consider that that place you so freely dismiss sight unseen is someone else's beloved hometown and a wonderful place to visit. Book that trip to Cleveland and I dare you to tell me I'm wrong about it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cleveland rocks, eh? I want to check it out, now. I'm kind of armchair-shopping for a warmer place to live and work once Corinne leaves home.

Heather said...

Well, warmer it's not. It started snowing the day we left and I gather it hasn't stopped! But I think you'd enjoy the aesthetic for a place to visit. I'll be going again in late spring/early summer if you're interested.

ljstockton said...

I'm actually really fond of Cleveland. I made a few friends there about 10 years ago. I actually wanted to live there for awhile.